HAV has a global distribution and is transmitted via the oral-fecal route, primarily by close personal contact. Several genotypes and subtypes have been identified. Epidemics are common in developing countries, where sanitation standards are low.1-3
HAV infections in humans range from asymptomatic infections, mainly seen in young children, to fulminant hepatitis, which in some cases may lead to death.1,4
HAV does not have a lipid envelope and thus, is not easily inactivated via solvent detergent treatment or pasteurization, such as during plasma derivative manufacture. As a result, HAV transmission through plasma products, mainly coagulation factors, have been reported.5-8
The cobas® TaqScreen DPX and cobas® DPX tests offers real-time PCR for detecting the presence of HAV genotypes I, II, and III RNA in plasma intended for further manufacture. The test is available as a duplex assay with the quantitative determination of Parvo B19 virus (B19V).
- Matheny SC, Kingery JE. Hepatitis A. Am Fam Phys. 2012;86:1027-1034.
- Keeffe EB. Hepatitis A and B superimposed on chronic liver disease: vaccine-preventable disease. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc. 2006;117:227-237-238.
- Vaughan G, Goncalves Rossi LM, Forbi JC, et al. Hepatitis A virus: host interactions, molecular epidemiology and evolution. Infect Genet Evol. 2014;21:227-243.
- Martin A, Lemon SM. Hepatitis A virus: from discovery to vaccines. Hepatol. 2006;43:S164-S172.
- Perkins HA, Busch MP. Transfusion-associated infections: 50 years of relentless challenges and remarkable progress. Transfusion. 2010;50:2080-2099.
- Gowland P, Fontana S, Niederhauser C, Taleghani BM.hepatitis A virus. Transfusion. 2004;44:1555-1561.
- Soucie JM, Robertson BH, Bell BP, McCaustland KA, Evatt BL. Hepatitis A virus infections associated with clotting factor concentrate in the United States. Transfusion. 1998;38:573-579.
- Chudy M, Budek I, Keller-Stanislawski B, et al. A new cluster of hepatitis A infection in hemophiliacs traced to a contaminated plasma pool. J Med Virol. 1999;57:91-99.