State-of-the-art dual target technology now available for all COBAS® TaqMan® HIV customers
An advanced and reliable HIV-1 viral load detection with a dual-target approach
A viral load test* used to quantify the amount of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 (HIV-1) in human plasma of HIV infected individuals. The test is used as an aid in the management of HIV infected patients undergoing anti-viral therapy. It also increases the probability of detection and expands coverage by targeting two highly conserved regions of the HIV-1 genome to compensate for the possibility of mutations or mismatches.
Features and Benefits
- All COBAS® TaqMan® HIV-1 Assays are fully traceable to WHO International Standards
- The test uses the High Pure System Viral Nucleic Acid Kit for manual specimen preparation and the COBAS® TaqMan® 48 Analyzer for automated amplification and detection
- The test can quantitate HIV-1 RNA over the range of 34 to 10,000,000 copies/mL
- Enhanced reliability and greater security of test results in the increasing presence of mutations
- Dual target approach expands coverage and provides additional security in the event of a mutation in one of the primer/probe regions
- Global Surveillance Program ensures current and future products remain state of the art
- There are over 26,000 HIV-1 sequences in the database
The COBAS® TaqMan® HIV-1 Test, version 2.0 (v2.0) For Use With The High Pure System is an in vitro nucleic acid amplification test for the quantitation of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 (HIV-1) RNA in human plasma, using the High Pure System Viral Nucleic Acid Kit for manual specimen preparation and the COBAS® TaqMan® 48 Analyzer for automated amplification and detection. The test can quantitate HIV-1 RNA over the range of 34 to 10,000,000 copies/mL. One copy of HIV-1 RNA is equivalent to 1.7 ± 0.1 International Units (IU) based on the World Health Organization 1st International Standard for HIV-1 RNA (NIBSC code 97/656).
The test is intended for use in conjunction with clinical presentation and other laboratory markers of disease progress for the clinical management of HIV-1 infected patients. The test can be used to assess patient prognosis by measuring the baseline HIV-1 RNA level or to monitor the effects of antiretroviral therapy by measuring changes in EDTA plasma HIV-1 RNA levels during the course of antiretroviral treatment.
The COBAS® TaqMan® HIV-1 Test, v2.0 is not intended to be used as a screening test for the presence of HIV-1 in blood or blood products or as a diagnostic test to confirm the presence of HIV-1 infection.
*The COBAS® TaqMan® HIV-1 Test, v2.0 For Use With The High Pure System is not available in the United States.